Great Summer Dessert – Very Berry (Fruit) Crisp Recipe
Following is an absolutely delicious, healthy, antioxidant filled and easy to make dessert recipe from the California Health & Longevity Institute at Four Seasons Hotel Westlake Village. This was distributed at The Heart Foundation’s Day of Health & Wellbeing.
Although the recipe is a Berry Crisp it can be made with numerous other types of fruit. I have personally made it with freshly picked plums straight from the tree. I simply had to add a little more tapioca to compensate for the juiciness of the plums. I am eagerly looking forward to the peak of peach season, so I can make a Peach Crisp.
So the next time you have a dinner party, whip up this Berry (Fruit) Crisp, and I guarantee your guests will be asking for the recipe.
Director of Operations & Donor Relations
The Heart Foundation
Very Berry Crisp
5 cups of mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries) – washed, drained, and hulled
1 Tbsp. of lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tapioca
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. Cassis (blackberry liquor) optional
1 cup raw oatmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup no trans fat margarine
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, toss berries with lemon juice, tapioca, sugar, and liquor.
3. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
4. In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients except oatmeal. Mix well, and then add oatmeal, mixing in lightly.
5. Sprinkle oatmeal topping over berry mixture.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Calories per serving: 175
Calorie equivalents: 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat